Essendon Keilor College provides a safe environment by:
- enforcing zero tolerance for child abuse, including bullying and harassment in all its forms
- appropriately managing student supervision, visitors to the school, and student privacy
- intentionally partnering with parents
- implementing risk management strategies and all policies including those related to health
- complying with mandatory reporting requirements, police protocols, search and/or seizure of property guidelines
- facilitating access to support services
- meeting the planning and implementation requirements for excursions and activities.
Child Safe Standards
All registered schools have an important responsibility for keeping children safe.
Essendon Keilor College has a sound and comprehensive suite of policies and procedures to ensure student safety.
A minimum standard for school registration requires schools to take specific actions to meet the child safe standards of Ministerial Order No. 870.
Essendon Keilor College, led by the School Council and principal, is meeting the requirement to create and maintain a child safe organisation by:
- embedding an organisational culture of child safety
- having a Child Protection Policy which includes our statement of commitment to child safety
- having a Child Safety Code of Conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour with children
- adopting human resource practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel. This includes, screening new staff, conducting staff induction and professional development programs, and ensuring staff supervision arrangements are in place.
- ensuring processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse are clear, communicated to the community and followed
- employing strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse
- continuing our practice of empowering children through valuing and student voice and affecting change in relation to it as appropriate, providing education and skill development to ensure children can identify and communicate when they don’t feel safe.
All Essendon Keilor College community members are:
- responsible for ensuring that our students are safe and protected
- responsible for familiarising themselves with their obligations regarding child safety under Victorian legislation and Ministerial Order No. 870.
- invited to participate in the development and review of all related policies, codes of conduct and strategies
Essendon Keilor College is invested in the safety of all staff.
DET WorkSafe and OH&S policies are communicated and implemented to prevent and address related issues.
View our policies related to student health and safety.