Use of Technology
Students of today are becoming more and more reliant on use of computers as a means of completing work and as an outlet for socialising and networking outside of the school environment. As students gain more and more access to many different things through the use of technology, it is important for those students to understand the responsibilities that come with being a “cybercitizen”. These online communities provide positive opportunities for today’s students to learn in ways that previous generations did not. Unfortunately, these communities also provide opportunities for those not so responsible to gain access to students working/learning online.
Essendon Keilor College has a belief that the teaching of responsible online and cybersafe behaviour is important for every student but it is best taught in partnership between home and school.
SAFE AND RESPONSIBLE USE OF TECHNOLOGY AT Essendon Keilor College
Essendon Keilor College allows students to access the internet for a wide range of educational purposes. We acknowledge the importance of the use of the internet for engagement and improved learning but with this comes the understanding that it must be used responsibly and safely. At Essendon Keilor College we:
- Provide students with sessions on cyber safety. During this session students learn what acceptable and unacceptable online behaviour is. They also learn their legal rights when it comes to harassment or bullying online.
- Provide a filtered internet service at the school.
- Provide supervision and direction in internet activities when using technology for learning.
- Provide support and information to parents about safe use of ICT (Information Communication Technologies) through parent information evenings and newsletters sent home via students.
- Work with students to outline and reinforce the expected behaviours when using the internet for learning